Shuniah Township, located along the North Shore of Lake Superior, will be holding another Household Hazardous Waste Day this July 23, 2016. The event will be located at MacGregor Landfill Site, from 10am-2pm. The effort helps residents safely dispose of any unwanted household, pool, automotive, and garden chemicals.
According to an add in the Shuniah News, the collection site will accept a number of toxic items, including:
- paints, coatings, and their containers
- solvents and their containers
- single-use dry cell batteries
- pressurized containers (i.e. spray paint, hairspray, household cleaners, gas barbecue cynclinders)
- lawn fertilizers, pesticides, and their containers
- antifreeze and containers
- empty lubricating oil containers
The Hazardous Waste Day is an Orange Drop Program initiative, run by Stewardship Ontario and funded by industry. Orange Drop aims to “provide Ontario residents with a free, safe, and easy way to dispose of household products which require special handling.” The program coordinates a network of drop-off sites, holding Hazardous Waste Days in different municipalities to help ensure these harmful chemicals don’t wind up in landfills, sewers, or drains. The net effect of Shuniah’s event is to keep Lake Superior’s shoreline and watersheds clean and healthy.