The next meeting of the Public Advisory Committee (PAC) to the Nipigon Bay Remedial Action Plan (RAP) will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, October 1st at the Nipigon Recreation Centre, 138 Wadsworth Drive in Nipigon. The meeting was initially scheduled for Lake Helen but the Red Rock Band has cancelled activities in the community out of respect for the passing of a community member. The general public is welcome to attend and the meeting is free of charge.
This meeting will focus on formation of an ongoing environmental group for the Nipigon, Red Rock and Lake Helen area. Public Advisory Committee members have stated that an environmental group should continue, even once the Nipigon Bay RAP is completed.
Other agenda items include presentation of a long-term Nipigon Bay environmental monitoring plan and information from the Town of Red Rock about the status of funding for wastewater treatment plant upgrades, including timelines to completion of construction.
The following links provide the full meeting agenda and complete meeting information package:
- Meeting Agenda
- Map showing location of Nipigon Recreation Centre, 138 Wadsworth Drive (“Nipigon Community Centre Ice Skating Rink”, lower left on map)
- Environmental Monitoring Plan Introduction
- Environmental Monitoring Plan Full Details
- A Sept. 22nd Nipigon – Red Rock Gazette Letter to the editor from PAC Chair Dave Crawford (click the text in the letter to magnify it)
- A Sept. 27 Chronicle-Journal article about a Nipigon incident involving walleye
- A “podcast” or audio interview with Carl Lindquist of the Superior Watershed Partnership (ensure your computer volume is on/up)