Jim Bradley , Ontario Minister of the Environment, is proposing new waste reduction legislation that would:
- Make individual producers responsible for the end-of-life management of their products and packaging.
- Increase recycling in the lagging industrial, commercial and institutional sector starting with the paper and packaging waste generated there.
- Eliminate surprise “eco-fees” at the cash register by requiring “all-in-pricing”.
- Improve oversight, compliance and enforcement of waste diversion by clearly defining the roles and responsibilities of individual producers, the provincial government, municipalities and a new Waste Reduction Authority.
- Allow for greater producer funding of the Blue Box program over time.
- Foster innovation in product and packaging design.